OK, you’re concerned about Common Core and want to know what to do. Get educated and then ask your legislator the questions below and report back to us.
This page contains a flier you can print out and share with friends and neighbors but it also contains a bullet list of some things Common Core is doing to education, and links to a good sampling of important issues to bring you up to speed.
Like Us on Facebook
You may have liked our home page when you signed the petition, but please like our page on Facebook (which you can do on the right side of this site now) so that our new posts appear on your Facebook page and help spread the word to your friends.
Hashtag on Twitter
Use #StopCommonCore in your Tweets
Contact Your Legislators & Governor
Once you’ve gotten familiar with Common Core, please take these actions.
Call the Governor and tell him to get us out
Comments (You won’t get a response from this form)
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Utah State Capitol Complex
350 North State Street, Suite 200
PO Box 142220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-2220
Find Your Legislators
Ask these questions of your Representative and Senator and write down their answers
1) Ask to see the cost analysis on Common Core. Ask what will this cost us and where the money is coming from.
2) Ask if you, the parents or taxpayer, are unhappy with the standards how we can amend them.
3) Ask to see the scientific studies upon which the academic foundations of Common Core rest.
4) Ask to opt your child out of the data tracking system (P20w Longitudinal System) and what is the process to do that.
5) Ask if they would be willing to introduce a bill to halt Common Core in Utah and give local control to districts to set their own high standards.
What can you expect?
Some may tell you we’re “locked” in and there’s nothing to be done. But don’t stop asking! Tell them Utah is not locked in because other states have pieces of legislation to remove common core from their state.
Common Core is set to be fully implemented by fall of 2014! We do have time, but not much! Utah has the chance to lead out and adopt better standards than nearly every other state is stuck with. We can have the best education system in the country.
Report Back to Us
When you have these answers, please fill out this form to report their answers back to us.
Other Ways to Help
Print out fliers and pass them out to your neighbors, at gun shows, and other events. Help staff tables at conventions and events.